Contract: Permanent Full Time Role
Hours of work will be: Rotating roster 40hrs between 7.30am – 4:30pm Monday-Sunday including both weekend days
Location: SPCA Centre Auckland (Mangere)
About the role
We are seeking candidates with excellent people skills and a passion for animal welfare to join our busy Small Animal team in caring for rabbits, guinea pig, mice and rats. This role will include weekends & public holidays, therefore flexibility in regard to days and hours of work is a must. The position will be busy, exciting, challenging and you would be working with like-minded people who get the opportunity to make a difference every day.
This position provides animal attendant support to the small animal services within SPCA Auckland to ensure they can continue to be a high performing, effective, responsive and efficient team.
Duties will include:
· Dealing with enquiries regarding adoption of small animals in person, via phone or website
· Coordinating and working with volunteers and the small animal and feline team with an aim to improve animal pathways through the village and volunteer experience
· Monitoring animal health, behaviour and administering medication
· Enhancing opportunities for socialisation, enrichment and behaviour modification for the small animals in the shelter
· Working with other departments to ensure the small animal area is functioning well and goals are being achieved
What we can offer you
· Make an actual difference for New Zealand’s animals
· Work with highly passionate people
· Onsite parking
· Great “purrks”! Including a paid day off for your birthday
What we need from you
Our ideal Candidate will:
· Have practical animal-handling experience and knowledge, in particular small animal experience, and experience in behaviour and basic care.
· Have applicable tertiary qualification e.g. animal care, animal welfare.
· Have excellent communication and customer service skills, with the ability to handle conflict situations and a friendly and positive attitude.
· Have previous experience working in a similar role
· Have a flexible approach to the hours of work, and be able to prioritise and effectively manage workloads.
· Have excellent data-entry & computer skills including Microsoft Office
· Demonstrate empathy and resilience
· Have the ability to work in a fast paced environment and must have a love for working with both people and animals.
· Active, physically able to cope with the rigor of the job
· Full, current New Zealand driver’s licence
· Be a self-motivated team player who is enthusiastic and passionate about animal welfare
· Be a quick thinker who is skilled at multi-tasking
Who we are
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872. To find out more about us, go here https://www.spca.nz/what-we-do
Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now! Applications without a cover letter stating why you feel you are suited to this role, will NOT be considered.
Applications close Friday 2nd December.
SPCA strongly encourages all new employees to have the Covid-19 vaccination.